Video
Support
Support Forums
C4 Engine Wiki
API Documentation
Release Notes
Purchase My Account

Using World Machine generated height map in C4

Topics about the art pipeline and external content creation.
Forum rules
Advertisements for products and services are not allowed unless you are a licensed user of C4 and you have been given permission to post them.

Using World Machine generated height map in C4

Postby fyuryu » 15 Apr 2012, 09:51

I'm trying out the Basic version of World Machine to generate a tarrain.

I already found this topic, which talks about how to actually get the high precision height map into C4 (short version: open it in Photoshop and save it).

But the actual height map ends up being rather bland: all the erosion effects are gone, terrain is a lot flatter than in WM.

If anybody used World Machine with C4, I'd like to hear any tips/gotchas.
fyuryu
New User

Re: Using World Machine generated height map in C4

Postby Jesse Meyer » 15 Apr 2012, 13:40

It depends on the scale of your terrain; the larger the represented landmass the less information is represented in your export. Any small details will not transfer to even a reasonably sized heightmap. I've been playing with different workflows lately but haven't found any silver bullet. Often times my approach is radically different depending on what type of terrain I'm working with.

Sometimes I export a high resolution heightmap, slap it in blender, separate the mesh into subdivisions and use that mesh for my terrain instead, and use the voxel technology when it makes sense (caves, overhangs, etc). To texture, I export a full selection of maps from WM like mud, water flow, different height scales, etc and use those to compose my base texture. Very ad-hoc and has a ton of disadvantages (manual LOD creation and texture fidelity near the camera come to mind).

At this point, it really requires a lot of experimentation.

Hope that helps!
Intel i5-4430
Nvidia 660 - Driver 340.43
8 Gigs RAM
Jesse Meyer
Power User
Power User

Postby Eric Lengyel » 15 Apr 2012, 15:31

Be sure to use version 2.8 of C4. It imports height maps better than previous versions.
Eric Lengyel
Terathon Employee
Terathon Employee

Postby fyuryu » 16 Apr 2012, 16:12

I haven't downloaded the 2.8 beta yet, will probably get around to it next week (it might not be a beta anymore by then).

One thing I found with World Machine: exporting the height map from WM as anything else than RAW (but still 16 bit) gives me the results I want.
fyuryu
New User

Return to Artist Central