C4 Engine Wiki
API Documentation
Release Notes
Purchase My Account

Beginner's Guide in Registered Access Area

Announcements about the C4 Engine.

Re: Beginner's Guide in Registered Access Area

Postby Twisted Helix » 18 Jan 2011, 10:37

Oh I dunno ... working out what you had to change was often very informative :)
Project Reality - Arma2 : Wins Player Choice "Best Upcoming Mod of 2010" - ModDB
Twisted Helix
Power User
Power User

Postby CodeNewt » 18 Jan 2011, 17:37

I'm just praying that the updated version of the guide some information on how to create a simple networked game. Unfortunately, the RTS, Ping Pong game, etc haven't had their networking implement ever, and the current edition of the guide mentions network programming once in the very beginning as a description of something a person can do.

Bleh, I'm just several stuck on what to do for networking.
CodeNewt
Power User
Power User

Postby TomL » 19 Jan 2011, 02:46

Eh, look into the MPGame? The demo game has plenty of networking, just look at the code and try to understand what it does. Anyway you should read a book about general networking in games, to get an idea of what to do and what not.
That said, it would be very nice to have that covered in one of the next incarnations of the C4 book.
TomL
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby cchilds » 20 Jan 2011, 20:41

CodeNewt wrote:Bleh, I'm just several stuck on what to do for networking.

If you want something to read about network communication for games, you can research RakNet.

You can find it over at: http://www.jenkinssoftware.com/
Chris Childs
cchilds
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby Niteen Hatle » 17 Feb 2011, 11:25

Adam Golden wrote:
Niteen Hatle wrote:Can't I buy this book directly with my credit card? Paypal and Google Checkout don't work for me. I've had problems with these two services while buying C4 Engine license.

If both Paypal AND Google reject your card, it's probably something as mundane as typing "123 Mystreet, #2" instead of "123 Mystreet, Unit 2" (or whatever is on file). It's retarded I know, but that's just how it is.

Another possibility is that the card has been flagged for "suspicious activity" - which is done for your own protection when there's a lot of purchases in a short time span being posted through different payment gateways. You'll have to contact the issuing bank to have it corrected. Honestly, you're much better off not providing your details directly to each website each time you buy something anyway..

I use a virtual card while buying things on the internet and they are for one-time usage. While buying C4 Engine I tried to use it through Paypal and Checkout and wasn't successful. But when I used it directly, the money was transferred and I was able to buy it.

Eric, I request you to help me out with this. Or suggest some other way. I need to buy this book.
Niteen Hatle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Postby Eric Lengyel » 17 Feb 2011, 12:23

Please give PayPal and/or Google Checkout a try for the book. If they don't work, then we'll figure something else out. What country are you in?
Eric Lengyel
Terathon Employee
Terathon Employee

Postby Niteen Hatle » 17 Feb 2011, 13:08

I live in India and there are some issues with Paypal in India. I am sure of that and I don't want to risk Paypal. I might give a try for Google Checkout again.
Niteen Hatle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Postby Zitheral » 28 Feb 2011, 11:32

Any updates on when the new version will be out? :)
CALLING ALL ARTISTS! Please contribute to the Content Creation wiki with your experiences accumulated while importing assets in to C4!
*** Content Creation WIKI ***
Zitheral
Power User
Power User

Postby Niteen Hatle » 01 Mar 2011, 21:11

Hi Eric,

I've placed an order for this book using GoogleCheckout (Yes, it was successful!). My Google order number: 512254069747297. Please keep me updated when the download link will be available on the reg. access site.

Will I now be eligible for the second edition as well?

Thanks.

Niteen.
Niteen Hatle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Postby Eric Lengyel » 01 Mar 2011, 22:39

Niteen Hatle wrote:Will I now be eligible for the second edition as well?

Yes.
Eric Lengyel
Terathon Employee
Terathon Employee

Postby Niteen Hatle » 04 Mar 2011, 11:10

The transaction went smoothly. And I was able to download the book and related resources from the registered access site. Time to dig deeper into the C4 Engine! Until version 2 comes along!!
Niteen Hatle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Postby Frederic » 04 Mar 2011, 12:00

Niteen,hi!

*I would strongly suggest that you work through all the demo examples shown in the User's Manual.

*Also keep in mind that most of the examples have to be modified a bit since the engine has come along quite a ways since the book was released.

*Some stuff that comes to my mind :

- You have to add a physics node before you can spawn a player into a level. Otherwise the player character would jog in place but not move at all when you press the keys.

-The terrain example given in the User's Manual is outdated. Follow the one given in the Wiki instead.

*Will update as I find more stuff.

Best Regards
Fred
Frederic
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby Niteen Hatle » 05 Mar 2011, 13:17

Thanks Frederic.

I'm going to read it from start to finish. I just skimmed through the book and found many things which are quite useful. Hope to have a busy weekend.
Niteen Hatle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Postby Zer0 » 25 Mar 2011, 16:38

Is there any update on the release of the new version ?
Zer0
Regular User
Regular User

Postby CodeNewt » 27 Mar 2011, 11:47

The guide is written in their spare time I think, so the update's release date is dependent on how quickly they work on the book. This book's update probably won't be something where we will have a promised "date" on release, it will just happen. :P
CodeNewt
Power User
Power User

Postby Drocket » 16 May 2011, 02:42

Eric,

Not been around for a long time and can't seem to find the book I purchased on 2008-12-14 and there isn't a download link in my registered user access area just a buy now link. When I originally bought the book I was sent an email with a download link but that expired a long time ago.

Is it possible to get the download link enabled on my account please?

I can send you purchase details if required.

Thanks,

Andrew Branch.
Drocket
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Eric Lengyel » 16 May 2011, 07:41

If the email on your C4 account is different from the email that you used to purchase the guide, then please send a message to service@terathon.com with your license number (not your download key) and the email that you used to purchase the guide. Then we'll be able to identify your account and enable the download link.
Eric Lengyel
Terathon Employee
Terathon Employee

Postby Drocket » 16 May 2011, 09:48

Eric Lengyel wrote:If the email on your C4 account is different from the email that you used to purchase the guide, then please send a message to service@terathon.com with your license number (not your download key) and the email that you used to purchase the guide. Then we'll be able to identify your account and enable the download link.

Thanks Eric, all sorted now and downloading.

Andrew.
Drocket
Regular User
Regular User

Previous

Return to Announcements